I believe, “Lifestyle” is a term to describe the way a person lives. A set of behaviors, and the senses of self and belonging which these behaviors represent, are collectively used to define a given lifestyle. In last couple of decades, incidence of certain diseases appear to increase as we become more industrialized. Lifestyle diseases like atherosclerosis, asthma, cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, stroke, depression, obesity, and many more are becoming evident in our lives.
How to prevent lifestyle diseases? I feel, one can pledge to prevent these lifestyle diseases on this auspicious occasion of Vijayadashami or Dussehra, which symbolically represent victory over evil.
Following tips should be beneficial for you to overcome a majority of lifestyle diseases:
Exercise and posture related steps to prevent lifestyle diseases:
1. Make a time table for daily activities with sufficient time for exercise and entertainment. Do brisk walking daily for 15 minutes or 10,000 steps or 2-3 kilometers. Maintain a healthy weight.
2. Increase your oxygen intake (as more Oxygen kills and control the cancerous cells we have produced daily).
3. Use proper seat and sit in a right posture at home and at workplace to avoid postural disorders like cervical sprain and backache.
Diet related steps to prevent lifestyle diseases:
4. Avoid fried food stuffs.
5. Avoid foods with preservatives and coloring agents.
6. Avoid junk food.
7. Never skip a meal for efficiency and productivity.
Detoxification/De-addiction related steps to prevent lifestyle diseases:
8. Regular Detoxification weekly (your colon is the dustbin, where most bacteria and viruses spread from there). Don’t smoke or use tobacco.
Mental health/spiritual health related steps to prevent lifestyle diseases:
9. Respect and support your spouse or partner. Respect everyone in your life.
Medical help related steps to prevent lifestyle diseases:
10. Periodic medical checkup. Get regular health screenings. Follow medical advice if you have some health problem in addition to life style disorder.
And, many more steps can be added here. Please add your suggestions in the comment space below…
Dr. Anil Singhal
Dr. Anil Singhal, MD (Homeo)Top 10 steps to prevent lifestyle diseases
by Dr. Anil Singhal, MD (Homeo) ( Author at Dr. Anil Singhal MD (Homeo) )
Posted on October 6th, 2011 at 8:26 am.
Last updated on April 24th, 2013 at 7:51 am.
Find more from Dr. Anil Singhal's Blog on: Lifestyle