As Diwali is fast approaching, people are sending Diwali messages, Diwali greetings, Diwali wishes, Diwali cards, Diwali sms and celebrating the Diwali in many ways. This week is full of happy moments in India.
Symbollically, diwali is the festival of enlightenment. I feel following points would help one to enlighten himself or herself — having healthy, wealthy, prosperous earth and mankind.
1. Having less is lighter. Start asking yourself if you really need everything you have, or if you just have it out of fear. Start to let go of what you have, so it doesn’t own you. And then, as you have less, you feel lighter. It’s wonderful.
2. Let the little things go. People who struggle often fight over little things. We obsess over things that don’t really matter. We create resistance instead of letting things glide off us. Let the little things go, breathe, and move on to the important things.
3. Learn to focus on the things that matter. This is implied in the items above, but it’s so important I have to emphasize it. Swimming (or any physical activity for that matter) is best done when you do only the motions that matter, and eliminate the extraneous motions. Stop thrashing, start becoming more efficient and fluid. You do this by learning what matters, and cutting out the wasted activity.
4. Be compassionate. This makes dealing with others much more effortless. It also makes you feel better about yourself. People like you more, and you improve the lives of others. Make every dealing with another human being one where you practice compassion.
5. Learn what makes life effortless. We thrash about in the water all day, making the swim exhausting. Instead of working against the world, learn to glide. Make it effortless.
Dr. Anil Singhal
P.S. I have sent this diwali sms to all my relatives and friends:
Wishing you wealth of health